Iván Espinoza-Madrigal is the Executive Director of Lawyers for Civil Rights (LCR) in Boston, an organization founded at the request of President John F. Kennedy in the 1960s at the height of the Civil Rights Movement. LCR is one of the largest and oldest organizations in New England working on legal and policy issues at the intersection of racial justice, immigration, public health, and entrepreneurship.
Best known for his work on immigration, education, housing, voting, LGBTQ+ rights, public health, and entrepreneurship, Iván has 17 years of experience in complex federal and appellate litigation. He has represented a wide range of clients as both plaintiffs and defendants in the corporate and non-profit sectors.
Iván is an expert in legal protections for people of color and immigrants. He has filed and won dozens of life-changing and law-changing cases across the country. He advises federal, state and local policymakers on the legal needs of marginalized communities. His work is regularly featured in publications such as the New York Times.
A sought-after thought leader, Iván speaks nationally on racial justice, immigration, and small business issues. He often focuses on the legal needs of people who identify across intersecting lines of race, sexual orientation, gender identity, and immigration status.
Early in his career, Iván worked as an associate at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, LLP, where he focused on securities litigation for corporate clients in New York. He also served as a Fried Frank Fellow with the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF), where he focused on a wide-range of civil rights cases in San Antonio, Texas.
At a pivotal time in the movement for LGBTQ+ equality, Iván joined Lambda Legal to work on marriage equality cases and with LGBTQ+ people of color. He also served as the Legal Director of the Center for HIV Law and Policy, focusing on the legal needs of people living with HIV.
A summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, he received a Juris Doctor from NYU School of Law, where he was a Root-Tilden-Kern Scholar. Iván clerked for Judge Ronald Ellis in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, and Judge Eric Clay in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Detroit, Michigan.
Iván currently serves on the Board of Ambassadors of Eastern Bank, the Board of Directors of the New England Foundation for the Arts (NEFA), and the Board of Trustees of Crossroads, a youth empowerment summer camp.
- Senior Fellow in Residence, Rappaport Center for Law and Public Policy, Boston College Law School (Fall 2021)
- Visiting Researcher, Immigration Clinic, University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law (Fall 2021)
- Legal Consultant, Center for AIDS Intervention Research, Medical College of Wisconsin
Honors & Awards:
- Boston’s 100 Most Influential People, Boston Magazine
- Top 40 Under 40, Boston Business Journal
- President’s Award, Boston Bar Association
- Beacon Award, Boston Bar Association
- Martin Luther King Award in Social Justice, University of Pennsylvania
- Ohtli Award, Government of Mexico
- Top Lawyers of 2021, Boston Magazine
- Boston’s 100 Most Influential People of Color
- Greater Boston’s 50 Most Influential Attorneys of Color
- Boston’s 25 Most Influential LGBTQ+ People of Color
- Poz Magazine’s Top 100
- 100 Most Influential People for the Latino Community, El Planeta
- Top 100 Influencers: Rising Stars Across The Nation, The Business Journals
- Social Justice Award, ACEDONE
- Inspiring Leader Award, Hyde Square Task Force
- Progressive Leadership Award, Progressive Massachusetts
- Ally of the Year, Centro Presente
- Community Service Award, Brazilian Workers’ Center
- Founder’s Award, The Welcome Project
- Community Champion Award, Massachusetts
Immigrant & Refugee Advocacy Coalition (MIRA)
- Honorary Lifetime Membership, Massachusetts Association of Minority Law Enforcement Officers (MAMLEO)
- Edwin D. Wolf Award, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- 50 For 50 Honoree, Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción (IBA)
- Community Service Award, Queens Pride House
- Hispanic Heritage Month Latinx Amplifier, Amplify Latinx
- Hispanic Heritage Month Recognition, Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA)
- 40 Under 40 Rising Stars, NYU School of Law
- OUTLaw Alumnus of the Year Award, NYU School of Law
- LaLSA Alumni Recognition Award, NYU School of Law
- 21st Century Fellow, Rockwood Leadership Institute
- Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40, National LGBT Bar Association